bta: Open source Active Directory security audit framework
BTA is an open-source Active Directory security audit framework. Its goal is to help auditors harvest the information they need to answer such questions as:
- Who has rights over a given object (computer, user account, etc.)?
- Who can read a given mailbox?
- Which are the accounts with domain admin rights?
- Who have extended rights (userForceChangePassword, SendAs, etc.)?
- What are the changes done on an AD between two points in time?
The framework is made of
- an importer able to translate a ntds.dit file, containing all the AD data, into a database
- tools to query the database
- AD miner framework
- AD diff utility
- small utilities (list of databases, etc.)
The comprehensive set of attributes are imported and can be querried including all schema extensions (Exchange, Sharepoint, etc.).
Each question can be crystallized by an AD expert as a miner so that it can be used during all audits without doing the hard work again.
Active Directory Security Analysis
- Clean an AD or an AD forest, looking for
- bad practices
- forgotten entries
- BTA is an operationnal tool, ought to be
- deterministic, reliable
- running a well-established procedure
pip install bta
- Extract the ntds.dit file
- Import the ntds.dit file in a database
- Look for control points in the database
Here is a way to backup NTDS.dit file for a domain controller which is running on Windows 2008. See  for more information or for Windows 2003 method.
- ntds.dit is unusable as-is.
- one ntds.dit is imported into one MongoDB database
- ability to import several ntds.dit in parallel
- Querying the database
- analyzing control points of a database: btaminer
- analyzing differences between 2 bases: btadiff
Analysing control points
- miners crystallize expertise
- list of admin accounts
- list of accounts with extended rights
- list of accounts with password errors
- list of various timelines
- diff (naive for the moment) between 2 imports at different points in time
- noise filtering
- can give reports in different formats:
- live dump
- ReST document
- zipped tree of CSV files
- audit log of writings in a database
- table consistency checks before mining
- Airbus Group CERT
- Airbus Group Innovations
- Airbus DS CyberSecurity