Compare the performance of CloudFlare, Google, Quad9 and OpenDNS public DNS services
Recently, Cloudflare, which provides content delivery networks and blocks attack protection services, is preparing to launch a public DNS (domain name resolution service) with an IP address of 126.96.36.199 with the Asia-Pacific Network Information Centre (APNIC). Although the online service is only a flash in the pan, the related screens have been archived by the Internet Archive. Cloudflare stated on the 188.8.131.52 website that DNS is usually very slow and lacks security, and some DNS vendors even sell user web browsing data to send targeted ads. 184.108.40.206 will be based on the user’s privacy. It will neither record the user’s IP address nor sell user data or use this information to send advertisements.
Google, CloudFlare, Quad9, OpenDNS offer free public DNS resolution services, but which service is the resolution speed? Researchers have tested the performance of these DNS services using 18 locations worldwide. All DNS services respond within 15ms in both North America and Europe. This means that if you live in these areas, you can choose any public DNS service.
CloudFlare’s average service speed is the fastest. The average global response speed is only 4.98 ms. Google and Quad9 are ranked second and third. Quad9 is faster in Google in North America and Europe, but slower in Asia and South America. Yandex compares only in Russia. Fast, slow in other places.
In the summary, the researcher concludes that
- CloudFlare was the fastest DNS for 72% of all the locations. It had an amazing low average of 4.98 ms across the globe.
- Google and Quad9 were close for second and third respectively. Quad9 was faster than Google in North America and Europe, but under performed in Asia / South America.
- CloudFlare has a strong presence everywhere. While Google and Quad9 had some high response times from some locations, CloudFlare performed well from everywhere.
- Yandex is only for Russia. It doesn’t leverage Anycast like the other providers, and was very slow from everywhere.
- CleanBrowsing was the fastest provider offering adult (porn) content filtering.