kodex: open-source toolkit for privacy and security engineering
Kodex (Community Edition – CE) is an open-source toolkit for privacy and security engineering. It helps you to automate data security and data protection measures in your data engineering workflows. It offers the following functionality:
- Read data items from a variety of sources such as files, databases, or message queues.
- Protect these data items using various privacy- & security-enhancing transformations, like de-identification, masking, pseudonymization, anonymization, or encryption.
- Send the protected items to a variety of destinations.
With Kodex, you can describe your data protection and data security workflows using a simple, declarative configuration language: Just like DevOps tools let you describe infrastructure as code, it is a PrivacyOps & SecurityOps tool that let you describe privacy and security measures as code.
It takes care of the boring and difficult aspects of privacy, such as
- Key management: manages encryption and pseudonymization keys for you (if you want that).
- Parameter management: keeps track of how every single data item was processed so you can prove the compliance of your data workflows and create an audit trail.
- Data transformation: implements modern cryptographic and statistical techniques to protect your data.
Our open-source work is made possible by commercially offering a Kodex enterprise edition (EE), which extends the community edition (CE) with functionality that supports the deployment of Kodex in a professional enterprise environment. It includes e.g. the following functionality:
- Advanced, SQL-based configuration & parameter management and storage.
- REST-based API to control all Kodex functionality.
- Web interface to manage and monitor data streams.
- More advanced data transformations.
- Role-based access control mechanism.