Metasploit 5.0.60 releases: penetration testing platform
The Metasploit Project is a computer security project which provides information about security vulnerabilities and aids in penetration testing and IDS signature development. It is a penetration testing platform that enables you to find, exploit, and validate vulnerabilities. The platform includes the Metasploit Framework and its commercial counterparts, such as Metasploit Pro.
- Warn about fDisableCam in automatic mode
- Land #12567, tribute banner for the console
- Land #12575, 2008 caveat note in BlueKeep exploit
- Add suggestion about GROOMBASE
- automatic module_metadata_base.json update
Metasploit 5.0 brings many new features, including new database and automation APIs, evasion modules and libraries, language support, improved performance, and ease-of-use.
See the release announcement here.
The following is a high-level overview of Metasploit 5.0’s features and capabilities.
- Metasploit users can now run the PostgreSQL database by itself as a RESTful service, which allows for multiple Metasploit consoles and external tools to interact with it.
- Parallel processing of the database and regular msfconsole operations improves performance by offloading some bulk operations to the database service.
- A JSON-RPC API enables users to integrate Metasploit with additional tools and languages.
- This release adds a common web service framework to expose both the database and the automation APIs; this framework supports advanced authentication and concurrent operations. Read more about how to set up and run these new services here.
- Adds evasion module type and libraries to let users generate evasive payloads without having to install external tools. Read the research underpinning evasion modules here. Rapid7’s first evasion modules are here.
- The metashell feature allows users to run background sessions and interact with shell sessions without needing to upgrade to a Meterpreter session.
- External modules add Metasploit support for Python and Go in addition to Ruby.
- Any module can target multiple hosts by setting RHOSTS to a range of IPs, or by referencing a hosts file with the file:// option. Metasploit now treats RHOST and RHOSTS as identical options.
- An updated search mechanism improves Framework start time and removes database dependency.
How to install Metasploit 5.0.60 on Linux/MacOS
curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rapid7/metasploit-omnibus/master/config/templates/metasploit-framework-wrappers/msfupdate.erb > msfinstall && \
chmod 755 msfinstall && \