MTPot: Open Source Telnet Honeypot
MTPot is a simple open source honeypot, released under the MIT license for the use of the community. Cymmetria Research, 2016. http://www.cymmetria.com/ Please consider trying out the MazeRunner Community Edition, the free version of our cyber deception platform. Written by: Itamar Sher (@itamar_sher), Dean Sysman (@DeanSysman), Imri Goldberg (@lorgandon) Contact: email@example.com
git clone https://github.com/Cymmetria/MTPot.git
pip install -r requirements.txt
usage: MTPot.py [-h] [-v] [-o OUTPUT] config
positional arguments: config Path to a json config file, see README for all available parameters
-h, –help show this help message and exit
-v, –verbose Increase MTPot verbosity
-o OUTPUT, –output OUTPUT Output the results to this file
Config file keys
- port – REQUIRED, The port MTPot will bind to.
- commands – REQUIRED, A python dict containing the commands expected to receive from the scanner (Mirai e.g.) as the keys and the responses as values. IMPORTANT: at the moment commands are assumed to be run under /bin/busybox. (e.g. command=”ps” means that the command that would actually get handled is “/bin/busybox ps”)
- ddos_name – REQUIRED, The name of the attack (Mirai e.g.) that will appear whenever a successful fingerprint has occurred
- ip – REQUIRED, The IP address MTPot will bind to.
- syslog_address – OPTIONAL, Syslog IP address to send the fingerprinted IPs to.
- syslog_port – OPTIONAL, Syslog PORT.
- syslog_protocol – OPTIONAL, Protocol used by the syslog (TCP/UDP)
Also included are sample config files (mirai_conf.json, mirai_scanner_conf.json) built for fingerprinting Mirai based on the code available from https://github.com/jgamblin/Mirai-Source-Code
Important note on sample downloading
We had to stop debugging Mirai at some point. An issue left open is that the remote Mirai infector crashes when it receives an expected response to one of its commands.
We did not have the time to work on this last issue (which apparently some folks see as a feature), but happy to get the help of the community if anyone wants to take a stab at making that aspect of the honeypot work.