prometheus v2.24 releases: monitoring system and time series database
Prometheus, a Cloud Native Computing Foundation project, is a systems and service monitoring system. It collects metrics from configured targets at given intervals, evaluates rule expressions, displays the results, and can trigger alerts if some condition is observed to be true.
Prometheus’ main distinguishing features as compared to other monitoring systems are:
- a multi-dimensional data model (timeseries defined by metric name and set of key/value dimensions)
- a flexible query language to leverage this dimensionality
- no dependency on distributed storage; single server nodes are autonomous
- timeseries collection happens via a pull model over HTTP
- pushing timeseries is supported via an intermediary gateway
- targets are discovered via service discovery or static configuration
- multiple modes of graphing and dashboarding support
- support for hierarchical and horizontal federation
Prometheus implements a highly dimensional data model. Time series are identified by a metric name and a set of key-value pairs.
PromQL allows slicing and dicing of collected time series data in order to generate ad-hoc graphs, tables, and alerts.
Prometheus has multiple modes for visualizing data: a built-in expression browser, Grafana integration, and a console template language.
Prometheus stores time series in memory and on local disk in an efficient custom format. Scaling is achieved by functional sharding and federation.
Each server is independent for reliability, relying only on local storage. Written in Go, all binaries are statically linked and easy to deploy.
Alerts are defined based on Prometheus’s flexible PromQL and maintain dimensional information. An alertmanager handles notifications and silencing.
Many client libraries
Client libraries allow easy instrumentation of services. Over ten languages are supported already and custom libraries are easy to implement.
Existing exporters allow the bridging of third-party data into Prometheus. Examples: system statistics, as well as Docker, HAProxy, StatsD, and JMX metrics.
- [FEATURE] Add TLS and basic authentication to HTTP endpoints. #8316
- [FEATURE] promtool: Add
check web-configsubcommand to check web config files. #8319
- [FEATURE] promtool: Add
tsdb create-blocks-from openmetricssubcommand to backfill metrics data from an OpenMetrics file. #8084
- [ENHANCEMENT] HTTP API: Fast-fail queries with only empty matchers. #8288
- [ENHANCEMENT] HTTP API: Support matchers for labels API. #8301
- [ENHANCEMENT] promtool: Improve checking of URLs passed on the command line. #7956
- [ENHANCEMENT] SD: Expose IPv6 as a label in EC2 SD. #7086
- [ENHANCEMENT] SD: Reuse EC2 client, reducing frequency of requesting credentials. #8311
- [ENHANCEMENT] TSDB: Add logging when compaction takes more than the block time range. #8151
- [ENHANCEMENT] TSDB: Avoid unnecessary GC runs after compaction. #8276
- [BUGFIX] HTTP API: Avoid double-closing of channel when quitting multiple times via HTTP. #8242
- [BUGFIX] SD: Ignore CNAME records in DNS SD to avoid spurious
Invalid SRV recordwarnings. #8216
- [BUGFIX] SD: Avoid config error triggered by valid label selectors in Kubernetes SD. #8285
© Prometheus Authors 2014-2019