Python is an interpreted high-level programming language for general-purpose programming. Created by Guido van Rossum and first released in 1991, Python has a design philosophy that emphasizes code readability, notably using significant whitespace. It provides constructs that enable clear programming on both small and large scales.
Python features a dynamic type system and automatic memory management. It supports multiple programming paradigms, including object-oriented, imperative, functional and procedural, and has a large and comprehensive standard library.
Python interpreters are available for many operating systems. CPython, the reference implementation of Python, is open source software and has a community-based development model, as do nearly all of its variant implementations. CPython is managed by the non-profit Python Software Foundation.
Python 3.7.0rc1 released.
- PEP 538, Coercing the legacy C locale to a UTF-8 based locale
- PEP 539, A New C-API for Thread-Local Storage in CPython
- PEP 540, UTF-8 mode
- PEP 552, Deterministic pyc
- PEP 553, Built-in breakpoint()
- PEP 557, Data Classes
- PEP 560, Core support for typing module and generic types
- PEP 562, Module __getattr__ and __dir__
- PEP 563, Postponed Evaluation of Annotations
- PEP 564, Time functions with nanosecond resolution
- PEP 565, Show DeprecationWarning in __main__
- PEP 567, Context Variables
Python 3.6.6rc1 released
- PEP 468, Preserving Keyword Argument Order
- PEP 487, Simpler customization of class creation
- PEP 495, Local Time Disambiguation
- PEP 498, Literal String Formatting
- PEP 506, Adding A Secrets Module To The Standard Library
- PEP 509, Add a private version to dict
- PEP 515, Underscores in Numeric Literals
- PEP 519, Adding a file system path protocol
- PEP 520, Preserving Class Attribute Definition Order
- PEP 523, Adding a frame evaluation API to CPython
- PEP 524, Make os.urandom() blocking on Linux (during system startup)
- PEP 525, Asynchronous Generators (provisional)
- PEP 526, Syntax for Variable Annotations (provisional)
- PEP 528, Change Windows console encoding to UTF-8
- PEP 529, Change Windows filesystem encoding to UTF-8
- PEP 530, Asynchronous Comprehensions