Real Intelligence Threat Analytics (RITA) is an open source framework for network traffic analysis.
The framework ingests Bro Logs, and currently supports the following analysis features:
- Beaconing Detection: Search for signs of beaconing behaviour in and out of your network
- DNS Tunneling Detection Search for signs of DNS based covert channels
- Blacklist Checking: Query blacklists to search for suspicious domains and hosts
- URL Length Analysis: Search for lengthy URLs indicative of malware
- Scanning Detection: Search for signs of port scans in your network
- Added bro to path by default (no prompt) (#321)
- Implement default config values (#329)
- Move hard-coded connection limit to config file (#311)
- Added strobes display to command line and html reporting (#320)
- Update blacklisted analysis (#310)
- Made blacklist database configurable (#310)
- Updated analysis, reset, and delete commands (#324)
- Added NeverInclude to Filtering config section which allows for whitelisting (#328)
- Enabling NeverInclude values by default (#336)
- Change Logging directory structure (#339)
- Create config options for disabling modules (#342)
- Refuse to run import if InternalSubnets is not configured (#341)
- InternalSubnets & Upgrading Documentation (#373)
- Setting local_ Bro values based on InternalSubnets (#350)
freqConncollection from being reset (#323)
- Added total duration field into uconns (#318)
- Fixed show databases issue (#326)
Config file changes:
Enabledflags to each section to allow turning analysis modules on or off individually. All are enabled by default.
Filteringsection added to defaults.
Filtering: NeverIncludesection added and initialized to safe universal values.
Filtering: InternalSubnetssection commented out by default. ❗️ IMPORTANT ❗️ This config section must be filled out before RITA will process new data.
This release includes new aliases and flags to commands to help streamline workflow.
reset. Added flag
-f|--forceto bypass prompt.
analyze. Added flag
-r|--resetto automatically perform
resetwithout prompting followed by
-f|--forceflag to bypass prompt.
- Download the latest install.sh file from the release page
- Make the installer executable: chmod +x ./install.sh
- Run the installer: sudo ./install.sh
- Start MongoDB: sudo service mongod start
RITA relies on the Google Safe Browsing API to check network log data for connections to known threats. An API key is required to use this service. Obtaining a key is free, and only requires a Google account.
To obtain an API key:
- Go to the Google cloud platform console.
- From the projects list, select a project or create a new one.
- If the API Manager page is not already open, open the left side menu and select API Manager.
- On the left, choose Credentials.
- Click Create credentials and then select API key.
- Copy this API key to the APIKey field under SafeBrowsing in the configuration file.
- On the left, choose Library.
- Search for Safe Browsing.
- Click on Google Safe Browsing API.
- Near the top, click Enable.