PMD v6.35 releases: extensible multilanguage static code analyzer
PMD is most useful when integrated into your build process. It can then be used as a quality gate, to enforce a coding standard for your codebase. Among other things, PMD can be run:
New and noteworthy
module to Java 8 as well. This means that from now on, a Java 8 or later runtime is required in order
This release ships with 3 new Java rules.
enforces the convention that JUnit 5 tests should have minimal visibility.
You can try out this rule like so:
<rule ref="category/java/bestpractices.xml/JUnit5TestShouldBePackagePrivate" />
CognitiveComplexityuses the cognitive complexity
metric to find overly complex code. This metric improves on the similar cyclomatic complexity
in several ways, for instance, it incentivizes using clearly readable shorthands and idioms.
See the rule documentation for more details. You can try out this rule like so:
<rule ref="category/java/design.xml/CognitiveComplexity" />
MutableStaticStatefinds non-private static fields
that are not final. These fields break encapsulation since these fields can be modified from anywhere
within the program. You can try out this rule like so:
<rule ref="category/java/design.xml/MutableStaticState" />
- The Java rule
CompareObjectsWithEqualshas now a new property
typesThatCompareByReference. With that property, you can configure types, that should be whitelisted
for comparison by reference. By default,
java.lang.Classare allowed, but
you could add custom types here.
Additionally comparisons against constants are allowed now. This makes the rule less noisy when two constants
are compared. Constants are identified by looking for an all-caps identifier.
- The java rule
DefaultPackagehas been deprecated in favor of
The rule “DefaultPackage” assumes that any usage of package-access is accidental,
and by doing so, prohibits using a really fundamental and useful feature of the language.
To satisfy the rule, you have to make the member public even if it doesn’t need to, or make it protected,
which muddies your intent even more if you don’t intend the class to be extended, and may be at odds with
other rules like
CommentDefaultAccessModifiershould be used instead.
It flags the same thing, but has an escape hatch.
- The Java rule
CloneThrowsCloneNotSupportedExceptionhas been deprecated without
The rule has no real value as
checked exception and therefore you need to deal with it while implementing the
clone()method. You either
need to declare the exception or catch it. If you catch it, then subclasses can’t throw it themselves explicitly.
Object.clone()will still throw this exception if the
Cloneableinterface is not implemented.
Note, this rule has also been removed from the Quickstart Ruleset (
- #3230: [doc] Remove “Edit me” button for language index pages
- #2466: [dist] Distribution archive doesn’t include all batch scripts
- #3269: [java] Fix NPE in MethodTypeResolution
- #1175: [java] UnusedPrivateMethod FP with Junit 5 @MethodSource
- #2219: [java] Document Reasons to Avoid Reassigning Parameters
- #2737: [java] Fix misleading rule message on rule SwitchStmtsShouldHaveDefault with non-exhaustive enum switch
- #3236: [java] LiteralsFirstInComparisons should consider constant fields (cont’d)
- #3239: [java] PMD could enforce non-public methods for Junit5 / Jupiter test methods
- #3254: [java] AvoidReassigningParameters reports violations on wrong line numbers
- #2655: [java] UnnecessaryImport false positive for on-demand imports
- #3206: [java] Deprecate rule DefaultPackage
- #3262: [java] FieldDeclarationsShouldBeAtStartOfClass: false negative with anon classes
- #3265: [java] MethodArgumentCouldBeFinal: false negatives with interfaces and inner classes
- #3266: [java] LocalVariableCouldBeFinal: false negatives with interfaces, anon classes
- #3274: [java] OnlyOneReturn: false negative with anonymous class
- #3275: [java] UnnecessaryLocalBeforeReturn: false negatives with lambda and anon class
- #3110: [java] Enhance CompareObjectsWithEquals with list of exceptions
- #3112: [java] Deprecate rule CloneThrowsCloneNotSupportedException
- #3205: [java] Make CompareObjectWithEquals allow comparing against constants
- #3248: [java] Documentation is wrong for SingletonClassReturningNewInstance rule
- #3249: [java] AvoidFieldNameMatchingTypeName: False negative with interfaces
- #3268: [java] ConstructorCallsOverridableMethod: IndexOutOfBoundsException with annotations
- #1438: [java] InsufficientStringBufferDeclaration false positive for initial calculated StringBuilder size
ThreadSafeReportListenerand the methods to use them in
are deprecated. This functionality will be replaced by another TBD mechanism in PMD 7.
- #3272: [apex] correction for ApexUnitTestMethodShouldHaveIsTestAnnotation false positives – William Brockhus
- #3246: [java] New Rule: MutableStaticState – Vsevolod Zholobov
- #3247: [java] New rule: JUnit5TestShouldBePackagePrivate – Arnaud Jeansen
- #3293: [java] Cognitive Complexity Metric – Denis Borovikov
- pmd.github.io#12: Update quickstart.html – Igor Lyadov
Copyright (c) 2003-2009, InfoEther, LLC