Taipan v2.8 releases: Web application security scanner
Taipan – Web Application Security Scanner
Taipan is an automated web application scanner which allows identifying web vulnerabilities in an automatic fashion. This project is the core engine of a broader project which includes other components, like a web dashboard where you can manage your scan or download a PDF report and a scanner agent to run on the specific host. Below are some screenshots of the Taipandashboard:
- This release moved from .NET Framework to .NET Core.
Taipan can run on both Windows (natively) and Linux (with mono). To run it in Linux you have to install mono in version >= 4.8.0. You can track the implementation of the new features in the related Kanban board.
Taipan allows scanning the given website by specifying a different kind of profiles. Each profile enables or disables a specific scan feature, to show all the available profile just run Taipan with the –show-profiles option.
Scan/Stop/Pause a scan
During a scan, you can interact with it by set the scan in Pause or Stop it if necessary. In order to do so you have to press:
- P: pause the scan
- S: stop the scan
- R: resume a paused scan
The state change is not immediate and you have to wait until all threads have reached the decider state.
Launch a scan
To launch a new scan you have to provide the url and the profile which must be used. It is not necessary to specify the full profile name, a prefix is enough. Below an example of execution:
Taipan is composed of four main components:
- Web Application fingerprinter: it inspects the given application in order to identify if it is a COTS application. If so, it extracts the identified version.
- Hidden Resource Discovery: this component scans the application in order to identify resources that are not directly navigable or that shouldn’t be accessed, like secret pages or test pages.
- Crawler: This component navigates the website in order to provide to the other components a list of pages to analyze. It allows mutating the request in order to find not so common paths.
- Vulnerability Scanner: this component probes the web application and tries to identify possible vulnerabilities. It is composed of various AddOn in order to easily expand its Knowledge Base.
Copyright (C) Antonio Parata