Autopsy 4.12 releases: Open source forensics tool
Autopsy is a digital forensics platform and graphical interface to The Sleuth Kit® and other digital forensics tools. It can be used by law enforcement, military, and corporate examiners to investigate what happened on a computer. You can even use it to recover photos from your camera’s memory card.
Support for Windows 32-bit and 64-bit operating system, the same support for Linux and OSX (download the source code, compile their own).
- Multi-User Cases: Collaborate with fellow examiners on large cases.
- Timeline Analysis: Displays system events in a graphical interface to help identify activity.
- Keyword Search: Text extraction and index searched modules enable you to find files that mention specific terms and find regular expression patterns.
- Web Artifacts: Extracts web activity from common browsers to help identify user activity.
- Registry Analysis: Uses RegRipper to identify recently accessed documents and USB devices.
- LNK File Analysis: Identifies shortcuts and accessed documents
- Email Analysis: Parses MBOX format messages, such as Thunderbird.
- EXIF: Extracts geolocation and camera information from JPEG files.
- File Type Sorting: Group files by their type to find all images or documents.
- Media Playback: View videos and images in the application and not require an external viewer.
- Thumbnail viewer: Displays thumbnail of images to help quick view pictures.
- Robust File System Analysis: Support for common file systems, including NTFS, FAT12/FAT16/FAT32/ExFAT, HFS+, ISO9660 (CD-ROM), Ext2/Ext3/Ext4, Yaffs2, and UFS from The Sleuth Kit.
- Hash Set Filtering: Filter out known good files using NSRL and flag known bad files using custom hashsets in HashKeeper, md5sum, and EnCase formats.
- Tags: Tag files with arbitrary tag names, such as ‘bookmark’ or ‘suspicious’, and add comments.
- Unicode Strings Extraction: Extracts strings from unallocated space and unknown file types in many languages (Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, etc.).
- File Type Detection based on signatures and extension mismatch detection.
- Interesting Files Module will flag files and folders based on name and path.
- Android Support: Extracts data from SMS, call logs, contacts, Tango, Words with Friends, and more.
- Added ability to configure a USB drive to use new logical imager tool.
- Added logical imager tool that runs on a live Windows computer and saves results to a USB drive.
- Added ability to import logical imager results into Autopsy as a data source.
- Changed file type detection so that Tika does not rely only on extension.
- Email ingest module assigns thread IDs to messages
- Android ingest modules store thread ID from their databases.
Content Viewers (lower right of UI):
- New “Text” viewer that consolidates previous Strings and “Indexed Text” viewers.
- New “Translation” panel was added to the new “Text” viewer.
- Added integration with Google and Bing translation (credentials required)
- Redesigned “Other Occurrences” viewer to have 4th column with details of selected item.
- Added Willi Ballentin’s “Registry Hive Viewer” panel to the “Application” viewer.
- Improved HTML viewer to use style sheets and better layout.
- Added ability to draw a box on a picture while tagging it.
Result Table (upper right of UI)
- Added paging to all views for faster loading of large data sets.
- Improved speed of displaying results when a column was sorted.
- Portable cases can contain files marked as Interesting Items
- Portable cases can be compressed and chunked
- “Files – Text” report can use either tabs or commas as the delimiter
- “Files – Text” report better handles Unicode text.
- Added ability to create a CSV report for the contents of a table
- HTML report for tagged pictures includes a copy with the overlay box
- Added Account Summary view
- Added Contacts panel to show all contacts associated with an account.
- Added Media panel to show media attachments associated with an account
- Added filter to show accounts if they involved with the most recent messages.
- Messages can be grouped by thread.
- New Test button was added to help diagnose permission and configuration issues.
- Created new Triage Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) section to the User Docs
Copyright © 2003-2017 Brian Carrier