Loki v2.2.1 releases: horizontally-scalable, highly-available, multi-tenant log aggregation system
Loki: like Prometheus, but for logs.
Loki is a horizontally-scalable, highly-available, multi-tenant log aggregation system inspired by Prometheus. It is designed to be very cost-effective and easy to operate. It does not index the contents of the logs, but rather a set of labels for each log stream.
Compared to other log aggregation systems, Loki:
- does not do full-text indexing on logs. By storing compressed, unstructured logs and only indexing metadata, Loki is simpler to operate and cheaper to run.
- indexes and groups log streams using the same labels you’re already using with Prometheus, enabling you to seamlessly switch between metrics and logs using the same labels that you’re already using with Prometheus.
- is an especially good fit for storing Kubernetes Pod logs. Metadata such as Pod labels is automatically scraped and indexed.
- has native support in Grafana (needs Grafana v6.0).
A Loki-based logging stack consists of 3 components:
- promtail is the agent, responsible for gathering logs and sending them to Loki.
- loki is the main server, responsible for storing logs and processing queries.
- Grafana for querying and displaying the logs.
Loki is like Prometheus, but for logs: we prefer a multidimensional label-based approach to indexing and want a single-binary, easy to operate system with no dependencies. Loki differs from Prometheus by focussing on logs instead of metrics and delivering logs via push, instead of pull.
2.2.1 fixes several important bugs, it is recommended everyone running 2.2.0 upgrade to 2.2.1
2.2.1 also adds the
labelallow pipeline stage in Promtail which lets an allowlist be created for what labels will be sent by Promtail to Loki.
- 3468 adityacs: Support labelallow stage in Promtail
- 3502 cyriltovena: Fixes a bug where unpack would mutate log line.
- 3540 cyriltovena: Support for single step metric query.
- 3550 cyriltovena: Fixes a bug in MatrixStepper when sharding queries.
- 3566 cyriltovena: Properly release the ticker in Loki client.
- 3573 cyriltovena: Fixes a race when using specific tenant and multi-client.
Copyright (C) 2018