openstego v0.8.5 releases: a steganography application
OpenStego is a steganography application that provides two functionalities:
- Data Hiding: It can hide any data within a cover file (e.g. images).
- Watermarking: Watermarking files (e.g. images) with an invisible signature. It can be used to detect unauthorized file copying.
- OpenStego is written in pure Java and should run on all platforms supported by java. It has been tested on MS Windows and Linux, but should not have any problem on other platforms too. Please report bugs if you find any.
- It supports password-based encryption of data for an additional layer of security. AES 128 and AES 256 algorithms are supported.
- It uses a plugin-based architecture, where various plugins can be created for different kinds of Steganographic / Watermarking algorithms. Currently, it supports two plugins – RandomLSB (Randomized LSB) for data hiding and Dugad’s algorithm for watermarking, but new plugins can be easily created for other algorithms. Plugins can also be easily added for other types of cover files like Audio files.
- All functionality is accessible using the command line also. Please check this page for more details.
- Clean Java API available if someone needs to embed OpenStego in some other project. Please check API docs for more details.
Using OpenStego is pretty straightforward. There are two modes of operation – data hiding and watermarking.
In this mode, you can either hide the data (file) inside an image or extract the data from the image. Check screenshots below to see how it can be done:
In this mode, you can watermark/verify images with your signature. First, you need to generate signature file, and then it can be used to watermark images or verify the same later. Check screenshots below to see how it can be done:
- Handle file size not enough in case of embed watermark operation.
- Handle case where some files fail processing during wildcard operations.
- Handle JPEGs where APP0 marker is not the first in JFIF metadata. JDK fails reading such files even if image body is fine. Check https://bugs.java.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6488904
Copyright (C) © 2017 Samir Vaidya