SparkyLinux 4.8 released, based on Debian distro
SparkyLinux is a Debian-based Linux distribution which provides ready to use, out of the box operating system with a set of slightly customized lightweight desktops.
SparkyLinux is a lightweight, fast, easy-to-use Linux distribution designed to work with both old and new computers, and features custom Enlightenment and LXDE desktops. It is based on Debian GNU/Linux.Sparky is targeted to all the computer’s users who want replace existing, proprietary driven OS to an open-sourced.
Sparky is also targeted to two different groups of users:
– Home Editions – with all the tools, codecs, plugins and drivers preinstalled – to the users who want to have everything ready and works from the first system’s run
– Base Editions – with minimal set of tools – to advanced users who like to set up everything as they want
Main features of Sparky
– Debian testing based
– rolling release
– lightweight, fast & simple
– set of desktops to choose: LXDE, Enlightenment, JWM, KDE, LXQt, Openbox, MATE, Xfce
– ultra light base edition with Openbox or JWM desktops
– special gaming edition: GameOver
– CLI Edition (no X) for building customized desktop
– most wireless and mobile network cards supported
– set of selected applications, multimedia codecs and plugins
– own repository with a large set of additional applications
– easy hard drive / USB installation
In general, Sparky is not targeted to Linux beginners, rather to users with some amount of Linux knowledge.
SparkyLinux 4.8 release has been released, code-named “Nibiru.”
– full system upgrade from Debian stable repos as of May 11, 2018
– Linux kernel 4.9.88 (PC)
– Linux kernel 4.14.34 (ARM)
– Calamares 3.1.12 with possibility of installing the live system on an encrypted disk
– added new option of live system booting which lets you choose your localization
– sparky tools which need the root access use pkexec now instead of gksu/gksudo/kdesudo/etc.
– added packages: xinit (provides startx command) and bleachbit (for cleaning the system)
– sparky advanced installer features 6 localizations now: Brazilian, English, German Italian, Polish and Portuguese
– APTus 0.4.x has been enlarged of new, additional applications and tools to be easy installed
– removed packages: gksu, gdebi, reportbug, sparky-fontset