SIET: Smart Install Exploitation Tool
Smart Install Exploitation Tool
Cisco Smart Install is a plug-and-play configuration and image-management feature that provides zero-touch deployment for new switches. You can ship a switch to a location, place it in the network and power it on with no configuration required on the device.
You can easily identify it using nmap: nmap -p 4786 -v 192.168.0.1
This protocol has a security issue that allows:
- Change tftp-server address on a client device by sending one malformed TCP packet.
- Copy client’s startup-config on tftp-server exchanged previously.
- Substitute client’s startup-config for the file which has been copied and edited. The device will reboot in a defined time.
- Upgrade ios image on the “client” device.
- Execute a random set of commands on the “client” device. IS a new feature working only at 3.6.0E and 15.2(2)E ios versions.
All of them are caused by the lack of any authentication in smart install protocol. Any device can act as a director and send malformed tcp packet. It works on any “client” device where the smart install is enabled. It does not matter if it used smart install in the network or not.
Confirm from the vendor: https://tools.cisco.com/security/center/content/CiscoSecurityResponse/cisco-sr-20170214-smihttps://tools.cisco.com/security/center/content/CiscoSecurityAdvisory/cisco-sa-20160323-smi
This simple tool helps you to use all of them.
git clone https://github.com/Sab0tag3d/SIET.git
You can use it for password recovery of for unlock cisco switch when no password provided.
Example: sudo python siet.py -g -i 192.168.0.1
-t test device for smart install.
-g get device config.
-c change device config.
-u update device IOS.
-e execute commands in device’s console.
-i ip address of target device
-l ip list of targets (file path)
–thread-count number of threads to be spawned