CVE-2023-28072: High-Severity Vulnerability in Dell Alienware Command Center
The Alienware Command Center is software that controls features of your Alienware PC, such as the color themes, thermal and power profiles, and game library. Recently, a vulnerability (CVE-2023-28072) with a CVSS score of 7.8 was identified in versions of Dell Alienware Command Center prior to 18.104.22.168. The vulnerability pertains to the deserialization of untrusted data.
Without diving deep into the technicalities, deserialization is the process of converting a series of bytes back into an object. If manipulated maliciously, it could allow attackers to run arbitrary code on the host system. Specifically, this vulnerability means that a local malicious user, with knowledge of the flaw, could send specially crafted requests to the .NET Remoting server, potentially compromising the system.
Dell, aware of the issue, has rolled out a remediation. Simply update your Dell Alienware Command Center to version 22.214.171.124 or later. This newer version addresses the CVE-2023-28072 vulnerability, ensuring that users can continue to enjoy their gaming setups without fretting over potential security breaches.
To update the Alienware Command Center, follow these steps:
1. Click Download File.
2. When the File Download window is displayed, click Save to save the file to your hard drive.
1. Browse to the location where you downloaded the file and double-click the new file.
2. Read the information in the dialog window.
3. Download and install any prerequisites that are identified in the dialog window before proceeding.
4. Click the Install button.
5. Follow the remaining prompts to perform the update.