PFQ: Functional Network Framework for Multi-Core Architectures
PFQ is a functional framework designed for the Linux operating system built for efficient packets capture/transmission (10G, 40G and beyond), in-kernel functional processing, kernel-bypass and packets steering across groups of sockets/end-points.
It is highly optimized for multi-core architecture, as well as for network devices equipped with multiple hardware queues. Compliant with any NIC, it provides a script that generates accelerated network device drivers starting from the source code.
PFQ enables the development of high-performance network applications, and it is shipped with a custom version of libpcap that accelerate and parallelize legacy applications. Besides, a pure functional language designed for early stages in-kernel packet processing is included: pfq-lang.
Pfq-Lang is inspired by Haskell and is intended to define applications that run on top of network device drivers. Through pfq-lang it is possible to build efficient bridges, port mirrors, simple firewalls, network balancers and so forth.
The framework includes the source code of the PFQ kernel module, user-space libraries for C, C++11-14, Haskell language, an accelerated pcap library, an implementation of pfq-lang as eDSL for C++/Haskell, an experimental pfq-lang compiler and a set of diagnostic tools.
- Data-path with full lock-free architecture.
- Preallocated pools of socket buffers.
- Compliant with a plethora of network devices drivers.
- Rx and Tx line-rate on 10-Gbit links (14,8 Mpps), tested with Intel ixgbe vanilla drivers.
- Transparent support of kernel threads for asynchronous packets transmission.
- Transmission with active timestamping.
- Groups of sockets which enable concurrent monitoring of multiple multi-threaded applications.
- Per-group packet steering through randomized hashing or deterministic classification.
- Per-group Berkeley and VLAN filters.
- User-space libraries for C, C++11-14 and Haskell language.
- Functional engine for in-kernel packet processing with pfq-lang.
- pfq-lang eDLS for C++11-14 and Haskell language.
- pfq-lang compiler used to parse and compile pfq-lang programs.
- Accelerated pcap library for legacy applications (line-speed tested with captop).
- I/O user<->kernel memory-mapped communications allocated on top of HugePages.
- pfqd daemon used to configure and parallelize (pcap) legacy applications.
- pfq-omatic script that automatically accelerates vanilla drivers.
Copyright (C) 2014