pe-sieve v0.2.9.5 released: searching for the modules containing in-memory code modifications
PE-sieve is a light-weight tool that helps to detect malware running on the system, as well as to collect the potentially malicious material for further analysis.
Recognizes and dumps a variety of implants within the scanned process, such as:
- replaced/injected PEs
- hooks, and other in-memory patches.
It can be used for dynamic malware unpacking (see examples here).
PE-sieve works on Windows, the lowest supported version is XP.
PE-sieve scans a given process, searching for the modules containing in-memory code modifications. When found, it dumps the modified PE. When found, it dumps the modified PE. Currently, it detects inline hooks, hollowed processes, Process Doppelgänging etc. The tool is under rapid development, so expect frequent updates.
Detects inline hooks, hollowed processes etc.
This tool is intended to help malware analysts, malware hunters, and incident responders in their daily work.
Having a new sample to be analyzed, we can unpack it with PE-sieve very fast, extracting the payload that can be then easily identified and used for further analysis.
When we want to collect material from an infected system of a client, HollowsHunter (an extended PE-sieve based scanner) can scan the full system, dumping the injected code from each and every accessible process.
It can also help in cases when the infected client doesn’t know what is the sample that started the infection. PE-sieve/HollowsHunter will search for injected material in running processes and then dump the malicious PE.
- Detecting inline hooks and patches
- Detecting hollowed processes
- Detecting Process Doppelgänging
- Improved parameters accessibility: grouped into more categories, sorted.
- Display hints for misspelled parameters
- Added parameter
jlvlallowing to regulate the level of details included in the JSON report. Allow to list hooks/patches in the
- Improved hook parsing: identify hooks created by replacing the target of existing JMP/CALL
- Improved reading remote memory (fixed a bug that was causing PE-sieve to stuck in some cases of reading inaccessible memory)
- Do not include initial protection in the check of memory access rights
Copyright (c) 2017-2018, @hasherezade
All rights reserved.