BunsenLabs Helium Official ISOs released: light-weight Linux distro
BunsenLabs Linux is a distribution offering a light-weight and easily customizable Openbox desktop. The project is a community continuation of CrunchBang Linux.
The distribution consists of configuration and resource packages installed on top of Debian. There are no changes to the way the Debian base system is administrated.
- Pre-configured Openbox window manager with tint2 panel and conky system monitor
- Assortment of harmonising GTK2/3 themes, wallpapers and conky configurations
- Various configuration and application utilities to maintain this system
- Additional desktop-, multimedia- and hardware-related packages come pre-installed to offer a better “out-of-the-box” experience.
On April 30, BunsenLabs Linux released the Helium version, which is based on Debian stable (Stretch). In this version, its appearance was reworked, new GTK themes were introduced, a slightly modified Paper icon theme was introduced, and a new desktop background was introduced. This version also includes new conky and Geany themes. Some preset topic sets are accessible via BLOB attachments. Moreover, the menu has also been remade and improved.
In addition to these significant changes in appearance, this version also includes some minor improvements:
- Calls to gksu, which is insecure, are replaced with pkexec.
- The default package list has been adjusted and some useful system tools added.
- The former CrunchBang audio mixer, pnmixer, has returned.
- PulseAudio configuration tweaks previously needed have been removed.
- QT5 GTK2 theme support has been added.
- The boot menu now has a “boot in cli” and a “Rescue” option.
- Nearly all BunsenLabs executables (scripts etc) now have simple man pages.
- Compton configuration has been improved and reorganized.
- A file /etc/bunsen/bunsen_install holds information about the system install method, version, and date, to help diagnostics.
- Numerous other small changes and tweaks.