EmmaDE 2 1.01 releases, an all-in-one GNU/Linux distribution
This distribution was developed to simplify the task of refurbishing old used computers, which were given to Charity Organization, and in particular to the Emmaüs Communities (this is where the name of the distribution is coming from). In addition, this distribution aimed at the promotion of Gnu/Linux among the novice users, as well as the lifetime extension of the hardware in order to limit the waste of resources induced by the over-consumption of raw materials.
This project started with the finding that all the current distributions, even the easiest to use, do not take into account all the needs of a large users population, for whom configuring their machine is the very last thing they want to have to deal with. One good indication is that the “Install-party“ are over-crowded despite the general ease of the distributions, but after a first participation to install the distribution on their machine, a large portion of the population is coming back to install useful missing applications.
Changelog EmmaDE 2 1.01
- Based on Debian 9.3 Stretch
- Workaround concerning the display freeze at startup bug in the Linux 4.9 kernel, by creating a extra entry in the Grub Menu to activate the nomodeset option (many thanks to François from Multisystem)
- Update of Multisystem to integrate the management of international languages and keyboards, and a new entry in the live safe mode as a workaround concerning the bug mentioned just above
- Wi-Fi MAC adress scan disabled in the NetworkManager configuration file (thanks to the Full Circle Magazine for reporting this bug.
- Improvement in the non-free software installation scripts to use Internet when connected.
- Addition of the rfkill packet for the Wi-Fi activation (thanks to Arnaud)
- Addition of the firmware-realtek packet to support the Broadcom Wi-Fi chips (thanks to Arnaud)
- Addition of the kde-l10n-fr packet to make Mr Patate speak French (thanks to Robert)
- Addition of the bip deactivation in the logout window
- Addition of the Audacious Equalizer presets (thanks to Jean-Christophe)
- Addition of the libreoffice-gnome packet to allow LibreOffice to open documents located on the Samba network.
- Reinstatement of Abiword and Gnumeric
- Replacement of Pulseaudio-Equalizer by PulseEffects-Equalizer (thanks to Jean-Christophe)
- Fix of the EmmaDE login
- Fix of the missing icons within LibreOffice
- Fix of the Sysinfo closing when opening the System Menu
- Fix in the LXDE banner launch
- Fix in the Lilo utilization
- Fix of the network connection problem with Thunar and Samba, induced by the firewall activation ( thanks to Jean-Christophe)
- Updates of HPLip 3.17.11, TurboPrint 2.44, Skype 8.13